Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 6:47AM
The Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA) asked me to do a 3 day hands-on workshop.
Here are some high points:
- Humber River at high stage, residence were at risk
- Lots of hihgly motivatesd, really cool TRCA staff
- There was a BIG hook in the river threatening downstream bridge
- Access was TIGHT, but we did get to employ a 24 wheel conveyor dump truck for rock delivery
- We harvested some willow and poplar nearby, the rest we had to source commercially
- We used Longitudinal Peaked Stone Toe (LPSTP) to align the stream and take out that hook
- The hook scour hole became a place to plant 'Live Siltation' and Pole Plantings
- To cap it all off, Jim Berry took me to see my first pro basketball game (front row seating no less) - 'Go Raptors'!
- Big thanks to Mo McDonnel and all of the TRCA!