Register for the Erosion Control BMP Summit before March 26 and qualify for an extended EARLY BIRD Discount
How are your BMPs doing?
Come to the SUMMIT, – April 11th and 12th, where the combination of classroom and field training is intended to allow you to confidently answer this question.
The Erosion Control BMP Summit at Shasta College promises to be Extra Special this year. Besides installing and demonstrating the “Best of the BMPs”, we will also get to do some ‘forensic’ analysis of last years BMPs – BMPs which were exposed to last winters rain!
Eric Berntsen can’t make this years SUMMIT, but we will have a very special replacement indeed, Keynote Speaker and co-trainer – Craig Benson. Craig Benson has 25 years of professional experience in a wide variety of watershed management, water resources engineering, erosion & sediment control, and ecological restoration projects in the United States, West Africa, and South America.
Mr. Benson is the Director of the Natural Resources Services Division of the non-profit RCAA in Eureka, CA. He also lectures in the Environmental Science Department at Humboldt State University. Craig has served two terms as the President of the Western Chapter of the International Erosion Control Association (IECA) and is currently on the Board of Directors of the Region 1 IECA. Craig and John provide a teaching synergy that can’t be beat!
More questions to bring with you; Can your BMPs be more cost effective? What are the main functioning elements you are looking for when inspecting BMPs in the field? We want you to have confidence in the BMPs you are responsible for. The Field Day will give you that confidence in the BMPs you specify, implement, or repair.
We are going to become familiar with many of the most effective and sustainable BMPs in the industry. You will get to help install and inspect, in the field
- Skimmer Sediment Ponds
- Straw and Coir Fiber Rolls as slope interrupters. Try different installation methods
- Turf Reinforcement Mats, anchors, effective staple patterns
- Track Walking and Soil Preparation
- Hydraulic Mulches, BFMs, and Biotic Soil Mulches
- Rolled Erosion Control Blankets and Mats
- Inspect an installed Compost Berm a highly effective alternative to silt fence – The FINN Compost blower makes quick work of this BMP
- Bioswale - **SPECIAL DEMONSTRATION – City of Redding Post construction/LED guidance
- Compost Blankets – applied with FINN Compost Blower - 98% effective
- Learn to operate a FINN T-60 and T-70 Hydroseeder
- Coir Netting for TRMs and Slope applications with Hydromulch added
- Install and Inspect Silt Fence. Demo the Silt Fence Installation by Slicing Machine for cost and labor savings
- Install Compost Socks – a environmental and cost effective replacement to silt fence. See the Filtrexx Siltsox specially designed to be highly effective in filtering stormwater.
These are just some of the BMPs offered. You will also be provided with a copy of The BMP Manual, adapted and derived from the widely sold, Erosion Draw, authored by John used in his Shasta College Class, IECA Courses, UC Davis courses and more.
And don’t forget that the College will provide breakfasts and lunches. The meals provided are always a highpoint to our trainings. See you soon